ARCHIVAL SITES FOR WOMEN'S STUDIES
Last updated: October 27, 1997
email to Mary Faith Pankin for questions or comments
Return to Mary Faith Pankin's Home Page
Return to Gelman Library Home Page
of Archives and History
- Detailed guide to reord groups useful for
women's history, including suffrage and civil rights issues.
University of Arkansas Archives
- Includes personal papers of women involved in civil rights work.
Bentley Historical Library
index to topics in Women's Studies at the Bentley Historical Library at the University of Michigan.
Bowling Green State University Center for Archival Collections
- Bibliography of women's studies manuscripts which document women's activities in northwest Ohio.
Bryn Mawr Library Manuscript Collections
- Guide to the library's manuscript collections useful for women's studies.
Center for the Study of the History of Nursing
- Description of the collections of this extensive archive of records of hospitals, nursing schools, and personal papers of nurses.
- Description of materials of Congregational women's organizations throughout the world.
- Finding aid to women's history archival resources. Lists
major subject categories, such as religious or professional organizations
or family papers, and briefly describes one collection in each category.
Duke University Guides to Women's Studies Resources
- Includes Women's Collections on Microform, African-American Women's History, Women's Studies Resources in the Special Collections Library,
Women and the Civil War, and Guide to Women's Archival Materials in North Carolina.
Fawcett Library, London
- The United Kingdom's oldest research library
on all aspects of women in society. Contains 150 archival collections of
women's suffrage and other organizations.
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgendered Library/Archives of Philadelphia
- Guide to the library's personal papers and organization archives.
General Federation of Women's Clubs
- Guide to the Women's
History and Resource Center, founded by the GFWC in 1984. The archives of GFWC contain hundreds of linear
feet of records of the organization, from 1890 to the present.
- Highlights for research on women in the Georgia State
University Special Collections Department. Includes the National Domestic
Workers Union records, and records documenting the Georgia women's
movement since 1969.
Emma Goldman Papers at the University of California at Berkeley
- Guide to documentary sources for the study of feminist and political activist Emma Goldman (1869-1940).
- Guide to the Society's individual and organizational papers
relating to women.
International Archive of Women in Architecture
- Guide to collections and inventories of papers of women architects, historians, and urban planners.
International Informationcentre and Archives for the Women's Movement
- Based in the Netherlands, contains Dutch and foreign collections, including archives of women's
organizations and individual women, documenting the Dutch women's movement
Iowa Women's Archives
- Guide to personal and organizational papers of Iowa women, especially 20th century.
Jewish Women's Archive
- Information from this
center for public programs and research on the accomplishments of Jewish women.
Kansas State University Archives and Manuscripts
A guide to selected women's holdings in the University Archives and Manuscripts Department. Includes
information on notable women in university history, and an index.
Lesbian Legacy Collection - ONE Institute/International
Gay and Lesbian Archives, Los Angeles, California
- Sponsored by ONE Institute (founded 1952) and
the International Gay & Lesbian Archives (founded 1942), which merged in 1994. Archives center on lesbians
in Southern California.
Library of Congress Manuscripts
- Guide to manuscripts for the study of women's history in the Library of Congress Manuscripts Division.
Library, Indiana University
Women-related collections in the Lilly Library Manuscripts Department.
University of Louisville University
Archives and Records Center, Women's Mansucript Collections Project
- Guide to collections of eight
notable women including civil rights activist Lois Morris.
- Listing of manuscript collections and university archives of importance to
Catholic women's history.
Milwaukee Urban Archives
- Guide to women's history collections in the Archives.
Mount Holyoke College Library
- Guide to the library's collections of personal papers of the college's presidents, faculty, alumnae, and trustees.
National Archives and Records Administration Library
- Pathfinder for women's history research in the United States National Archives and Records Administration Library.
National Archives of Ireland
- Guide to sources for women's history in the Irish National Archives.
Nevada Women's Archives,
Nevada, Las Vegas
- Southern depository for the archives project. Description of
archival materials resulting from Nevada women's activities in political, social, cultural, religious, commercial, and economic life.
Nevada Women's Archives, University of Nevada,
- Northern depository for the archives project. Description of archival materials resulting
from Nevada women's activities in political, social, cultural, religious, commercial, and economic life.
New York State Archives
- Overview of records in the archives relating to women.
Newcomb College Center for Research on Women
- Overview of archives of 19th and 20th century documents from the Women's College of Tulane.
Oberlin College Archives
- Guide to the women's history sources in the Oberlin College Archives.
University Women's Archives
- Guide to records of over twenty women's organizations and individuals.
John Rylands University Library of Manchester
- Sources for women's studies in the Methodist Archives at the John Rylands University in Manchester, England.
Ruben Salazar Library, Sonoma
the library's Women Artists Archive and the Women Writers Archive.
Arthur and Elizabeth
Schlesinger Library on the History of
Women in America, Radcliffe College
- Guide to collections and finding aids for the library's manuscript collections docum
enting women's lives in the 19th and 20th centuries.
College Archives and Manuscript Collections
- Listing of college's archives and faculty and student personal papers.
- Description of this important resource for the study of the history of Smith College, women's education and student life, and subjects such as women's war work.
Sophia Smith Collection
at Smith College
- Guide to holdings of this collection which
includes papers of Margaret Sanger and Ellen Gates Starr, among others.
- Social Welfare History
Archive at the University of Minnesota Libraries
- Guide to the library's holdings with abstracts of collections useful for the study of social work and social welfare.
College Archives, Oxford
- Includes organizational records and
personal papers of administrators of this Oxford University women's
Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Guide to the library's organizational and personal papers, including those of Jane Addams and Belva Lockwood.
Texas Woman's University Libraries: The Woman's Collection
- Description of the library's organizational archives and personal papers for the the study of women's history.
Archives for Research on Women and Gender at
University of Texas at San Antonio
- Listing of collections documenting Texas women's
accomplishments. Some links to finding aids.
Libraries Women's Papers
- Descriptions of archival collections of value for women's studies.
Activists of Virginia Archives in the Virginia Commonwealth University
- Guide to the library's manuscript collections containing
materials for women's political history research.
Manuscript Sources for Women's History in
Special Collections Department of the Virginia Tech Libraries
- Guide to the library's manuscript
collections containing materials for women's history research.
Western Historical Manuscript Collection
- Guide to resources on women at the State Historical Society of Missouri and the University of Missouri branches.
State University Ablah Library Special
Collections and University Archives
- Guides to collections of women in various walks of life,
especially women in Kansas. Use subject index under Women.
Women in Science and Engineering Archives
Iowa State University Library archives documenting the history of women in engineering and the physical,
earth, life, and computational sciences.