The focus of this instructional unit is reading fairy tales by the brothers Grimm and Wilhelm Busch. By focusing on the texts and accompanying activities students will improve their reading skills and expand their vocabulary, while simultaneously solidifying their grammatical competence of the simple past tense. This unit will be taught using a hybrid approach. Students will read the texts online, study the vocabulary and the irregular forms of the verbs, and drill them online before taking an assessment test in class. The assessment test will include all the verbs compiled on the "Verbenliste" as well as the vocabulary from the "Biografie Grimm", "Biografie Busch" and "Rumpelstilzchen".
The online quizzes allow students to practice the vocabulary and to drill the irregular verbs through repetition.
- demonstrate their comprehension of the required readings of German fairy tales by having to answer content questions (orally in class)
- recall tense forms (online and in class)
- practice the tense forms of irregulave verbs with multiple choice quizzes (online)
- practice the vocabulary in the form of matching quizzes (online)
- demonstrate the knowledge of the irregular verbs from the "Verbenliste" by taking a graded assessment test (in class)
- demonstrate the knowledge of the vocabulary by taking graded assessment quizzes (in class).